Many people ask us on a regular basis what tips we can give them to help improve their English proficiency. So we have decided to compile as many tips as we can here in this blog.
20 Words a day
This week’s tip is for learning new vocabulary. You should be learning 20 new vocabulary words a day. Difficult? You can do it. It can be easy if you follow these steps:
- The idea is to start out with 2 words a day.
- Select a reading of your choice and start to look for words you don’t know and look them up in a dictionary. You should try to choose a noun and a verb if possible.
- Once you have mastered learning 2 words a day, you can increase that to 5 words a day.
- In addition to a noun and a verb, you should include adverbs and adjectives.
- Make sure you say each new word in a sentence to help in memorization.
- After you are comfortable learning 5 new words a day, try 10, then 15 and finally 20 new words a day.
Flashcards can also help in learning and memorizing new vocabulary. If you don’t have access to flashcards or you don’t feel like making them yourself, you can find some good flashcard software for free online. Here is a good flashcard software, CueCard. Try it!
Hopefully you found this tip to be useful. Keep coming back to see our future posts. If you have any tips you would like to share on learning vocabulary, include a comment at the end of this reading. Thank you.